There are a few things that annoy me about moving to a new place:
One thing is having to rely on GPS to do the simplest of tasks: going to get groceries, visiting friends, getting to work, getting back home (where do I live again?) Having to learn a new phone number, new address, new postal code and then sending out the email to my entire friends list saying that, yes, we've moved again... here's the new contact info... it's very annoying! I have a lot of friends that live out of town, and trying to tell them directions to my new house will be very annoying - how can I give directions when I don't know the way to my new home myself? One could argue that it would be more annoying to have to rely on a paper map instead of GPS and I would agree with that. Paper maps are annoying too!
I am also annoyed at having to change my address with every institution under the sun. I've actually gone online to search for a comprehensive list of places you should remember to change your name with: your bank(s); Revenue Canada; your magazine subscriptions; insurance company; car company... I'm getting annoyed just thinking about the work I'll have to do with this! Thank goodness for mail forwarding!
Another annoyance is not knowing any good restaurants or take-out in your new place. I hate ordering take-out for the first time and having it be absolutely disgusting, and then you have to open a can of soup for dinner after wasting $50 on garbage! I also don't like going to a restaurant and wasting not only my money, but my time, eating gross food! As for Waterdown, I heard that American House Pub is good, if one is craving pub food, which I only do on occasion. Waterdown is getting a Keg Steakhouse, which is good, if they can teach their cooks what a well-done steak should look like on the inside (hint: it should definitely not drip blood) so I'm stoked for that! At least Waterdown is getting a Starbucks!! I know I must be moving to the right place if there's a Starbucks within a 10 minute walk - here in Guelph, I'm one block away from one! That should help sell my house, right?
Moving day itself is pretty annoying, as is the week following a move. We are lucky enough to have gotten movers for our last two moves, and I'm hoping that our move to Waterdown will yield movers again! But there's one very annoying thing that occurs when you get professional movers - they put these numbered stickers on everything and you find them for, like, a year! On everything! We moved to our current house in November, 2007 and there's still stickers on things - our ironing board, the leaves for our kitchen table, a computer monitor. You peel them off and there's a little sticky patch left on your item. Ugh... I can't complain too much because not having to lift a box is quite awesome, and being able to tell the movers where the boxes should go in your new home is really fun and bossy! But the week after a move is annoying because everything is everywhere and your clothes are all jammed in suitcases and wrinkled and you can't find anything. You have to wash every dish because the newspapers you used to protect your dishes left black marks on everything. You have to clean every nook and cranny of your new home to get the "other people germs" away, but you can't find your cleaning supplies! Or they've leaked and you have to go to the store to buy new ones... but how do you get to the store again? Where's the GPS?
I can't wait to move!
No comments:
Post a Comment