So I'm standing in the best, and most popular, baby store in Guelph today, and I overhear this woman asking about the Spa Baby bathing bucket. You must have seen them - the green see-through buckets that claim to give your baby a "spa-like experience" yadda, yadda, yadda. Well, I couldn't help but laugh out loud, and the woman and sales clerk looked over at me. I had to explain that my husband had made me purchase one. I thought it was a waste of money, but we did use it a couple of times. Anyway, I think the sales clerk thought that I was going to pan the bucket, but I looked at the woman and told her that it was an excellent product, that it kept the baby warm, that my baby never cried when she was in it, and that she only just outgrew it (a lie... she outgrew it at 3.5 months old) and that it's definitely worth considering over other tubs. The sales clerk then left to help someone else while the woman kept browsing and I turned around a corner to look at shoes for Mady. Well, the woman comes around the corner and starts talking to me about how her daughter's due in a month and that it's a boy and that she's so excited to be a grandma. Then she mentioned that she was going to buy a crib for her house so the baby would have someplace to sleep when her daughter and grandson visited. I told her that she might want to consider a Pack & Play because it comes with a basinette and change station instead, and that got a whole other conversation started. She took me, a perfect stranger who does NOT work there, around the corner to show me the Pack & Play that the store was selling (it was quite nice) and asked me what I thought. We spent about 15 minutes looking at it. Remember, I was just there for shoes! As I was edging back towards the shoes, she asked me one more question: "What is your absolute favourite thing in this store?" I thought for about one second and went over to the sleeping bags. I told her that Mady never liked a swaddle, and would kick it off in the night and end up freezing. I showed her the Perlimpinpin brand sleeping bag and told her that I got three of the 0-6month and just got two new 6-18 month ones. They are the BEST items ever! I really didn't mind talking to the woman because she really seemed to appreciate my advice as a new mom. I wished her good luck and then bought Mady a really nice pair of white patent leather shoes to go with her spring dresses.
Then tonight, I went to the Zehrs to get some Naan bread to go with our Balti Chicken dish. I decided to stop in to the little wine store to get a couple of bottles for the weekend. The man working there asked if he could help me and I asked him if he knew of a wine that has a little less sulphites. You see, I've been having allergic reactions to wine, and I am convinced that sulphites are the culprit because my metabolism has changed since being pregnant. Anyway, he proceeded to go into a 10-minute explanation about how sulphites "are a naturally occurring preservative" and that the sulphite count can be different on each end of the same vinyard - interesting since I've had allergic reactions from the same brand and type of wine before. Then he told me that his daughter drinks one particular brand of wine and he recommended it. I would tell you what it is, but I can't pronounce it - it's German and it's by Hillebrand and it has a spotted dog on the label -Gewurstraminer? Anyway, as I was paying for my wine, he told me about how he and his wife are babysitting his granddaughters, who are 2 and 4, since his daughter is going to London, England to go shopping for 5 days... blah, blah, blah... Don't get me wrong. He was a very nice man and I really appreciated his lesson on sulphites in wines. But I was in a rush to get home to dinner and didn't really want to spend 20 minutes in a wine store talking about this man's family.
I guess I just have one of those magnetic personalities and people like me! And I guess I'm too friendly and polite to tell strangers to bugger off with their life stories! I guess I'm also the ultimate hypocrite, blogging about my life story on this website... disregard everything I just told you! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment