Ever since becoming a mother, I have this foreboding sense that I'm sick. I feel like I'm going a bit crazy. Is there a prescription for crazy? I might end up needing that... Every ache and pain is something sinister. Every twinge is a tumour. I'm convinced that my moles are cancerous - some of them are itchy and strange-looking. Cancer runs in my family so I'm very conscious of it and it's always foremost in my mind when I am not feeling 100%. I also have no energy and no appetite - I had blamed my lack of energy on the weather - all dark and rotten until this nice weather hit. But my energy is still low. Could be anemia.
I had anemia during pregnancy and afterward. Perhaps it's back. I had been on iron pills but then the prescription ran out and there were no repeats. I've been taking a multivitamin every morning - a prenatal vitamin actually - which has a nice high dose of iron in it as well as folic acid, which a lack of can also cause anemia. So I shouldn't feel tired, right? I hadn't thought of the fact that we're in the process of moving and that might be what's causing my exhaustion, or that the dog keeps me up during the night... I'm just so used to being on the go with endless supplies of energy, that I get worried when my energy reserves are low and I feel like I don't want to do anything.
I thought that maybe I was a bit depressed. But that's not it. I have no symptoms of depression. I can attribute the exhaustion and lack of motivation to other sources. I'm actually a very happy person, I just think that the stress of moving is getting to me. But the itchy moles etc. have been a source of worry since I was pregnant, and it's time to get them checked out. It's only prudent.
So, I just called the doctor and made an appointment to see him. I felt like an idiot on the phone with the receptionist. She asked me what the problem is and I told her that I thought I was going crazy and I needed to get checked out. And then I told her that I wasn't really sick, but that a couple of moles are itchy and weird and I want them looked at and that I'm also having strange twinges in my back and one of my armpits is itchy all the time and sore sometimes. And that I have this weird cyst-type thing on my jaw right by my ear - not sure what it is... So anyway, I feel like a moron and a hypochondriac, but I'm still going to the doctor so he can alleviate my fears. I just want to make sure I'm healthy, or at least not sick like my mother - she has Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis and is disabled from those conditions. She's never been healthy and it wasn't a lot of fun growing up with a mother who was not well (illness has plagued her from a young age...) So I guess my fears are rooted in my family medical history... I don't want to be sick, and the doctor will check me out and tell me that I'm fine and I'll be fine. I wonder how much one of those total body scans costs??
No comments:
Post a Comment