So yesterday I went to a garden centre with my mother-in-law and Mady and we were looking for plants to put in my garden. I had a couple of spots in the garden that were bare and it was driving me crazy. So I bought 8 different perennials and some herbs. I have to say it was quite satisfying to plant the stuff myself, but I was so scared of the bugs. I tried to put them out of my mind and focus on what I was doing, but I still had a couple of freak-outs. I'm sure my mother-in-law thought I was crazy. I told her about the blue wasps that I have in both my front and back yards. She didn't know what I was talking about. Well, I did some research and they are called Mud Daubers. They built a nest way up near the roof on the front of my house (my eagle-eye spotted it yesterday) and now it's all I can think of and I'm too afraid to go out the front door. I didn't get a chance to plant the herbs yesterday so they're sitting on my deck in a shady spot - I should go out and water them but, again, too afraid. It's enough that I have to let the dog out every few hours and then go out on the deck to disengage his leash from whatever he's gotten it caught up in. As it stands, the beautiful garden below my finch feeder is getting destroyed because of Eliot's leash getting caught in it, and my frenzied attempts to release him quickly and get back inside before I see a bug.
I have discovered that finches are greedy little bastards. I filled their feeder the day we moved in, and a week later it was nearly empty. I filled it again a few days ago, and already it's half-eaten. I can't keep up with them. I know we have a family that have built a nest inside the crooked bird house in the tree right by the feeder, but where are all the rest coming from? I have grey ones and yellow ones and they fight with each other and jockey for space on the feeder. They're quite beautiful to watch. But they are pigs. I'll go broke filling that feeder, but how can I stop now that I've started? I need to find some good feed in bulk and for cheap!
Despite my fear of bugs, here I was today, heading down to the creek at the end of my property to talk with some of the elementary school students, armed with sticks, who had crawled under the fence separating my yard from the school yard. I was in my pajamas and my hair wasn't combed and I was walking quickly lest a bug attack me. And the boys hastily scampered back under the fence as I approached. I asked them what they were doing with their sticks - were they hitting my frogs? And they said no, that they were just looking for them. One boy piped up that they'd seen a HUGE frog with a brown body and big blue eyes and I told him that they was my frog, and that I had named him Frank. I then said that I hoped they weren't trying to kill my frog since he was my new pet and I liked him so much. They swore they weren't hurting him. I made them promise not to hurt him, and then went back up to the house. I could hear them crawling under the fence again to do more frog-hunting as I retreated to the safety of the indoors. When I got inside I realized that, since I had a reason to go outside, I was less afraid of the bugs. I was on a mission to save a frog, after all, and how could the bugs come after me when I was trying to save nature? Do bugs believe in karma? Actually, I was trying to save an animal that eats bugs, so if karma's a bitch, then I'll probably get stung today... better stay indoors!
No comments:
Post a Comment