Did I ever mention that I hate cleaning? I really do. It annoys me and puts me in a bad mood. But I particularly hate cleaning other people's filth. Such is the case with our new home. I still feel like the previous owners' germs are everywhere and I am having a hard time to find the motivation to really clean this place. I'm about 10 seconds away from emailing my former cleaning ladies to ask them to come clean this house for me. That might be just the thing I need to get my motivation back. If my cleaners come and sanitize this place from top to bottom, I know I'll feel better about living here and cleaning the house myself. Now don't get me wrong - I am proud and I do keep my house clean. But this house feels like it has layers of germs from many years of neglect. The old owners mostly lived outside and cared for the yard, but they were less than stellar when it came to keeping the inside spotless. I guess I'm used to owning a new home that's all fresh and nice and clean, and I'm not used to owning an older home with old everything...
When we first moved in, the spare bathroom upstairs was filthy. I think it was the teenage son's bathroom and his mother left it to him to keep it clean. That was a mistake, because I don't think that bathroom was cleaned properly for at least 5 years. Well, it took me 45 minutes to clean the toilet - I'm not kidding - and I didn't have any rubber gloves at that point... And at one point, I had to step away because I thought I would vomit (and I have a lead stomach and don't get sick often) I won't tell you the details of what horrors I witnessed as that toilet changed colours before my eyes, from yellowish/grey to dove grey, but I'm sure you can imagine. This was my "trial by fire" if you will. I can now safely use the toilet in that bathroom without fear that my arse will get a nasty rash! I let Steve clean the tub and shower because I just couldn't bear to do it. I cleaned out all the cabinets and drawers too, but I still can't bring myself to put supplies in them just yet. That's why I need the heavy chemicals that my cleaning ladies have. They are experts in the field after all.
My kitchen is clean though, from top to bottom. I made sure to really get in there and get rid of all nastiness I could find. It took me a long time to get the fridge clean - there were mosquitoes in it on the day we moved in; not sure how they got in there - but now it's sparkly white and nice and I can safely load it up with all kinds of delicious foods. My living room, where Mady plays, is spotless. We really washed it down and I can put Mady on the floor without fear that she'll get infected with salmonella or e.coli. It's got carpet, so I have to make sure I vacuum it regularly, but otherwise it's a good room and I feel comfortable in there. Mady's room is another room that those other people seldom used, so it's in good shape too. Our master ensuite bathroom was a bit dirty, so it just needed a good wash and it was okay to use. Steve washed it and then I secretly washed it too, just to make sure I got any leftovers he might have missed. And I washed the tub out three times before I would sit in it. I hate baths, but I have to say that my new tub is spectacular and I've had many baths since moving here. I can't bring myself to shower in the spare bathroom (see above) so I take baths in the ensuite and hose myself off with the shower head after my bath is done. Steve thinks I'm nuts, but that other bathroom still gives me the shivers. I don't think it will ever be clean enough.
So what I need to do today is to pick up the toys and straighten up the living room. I need to wash the baby's dishes and put them away. I need to empty and reload the dishwasher. I need to vacuum the living room and Mady's room. I need to sweep and mop the ceramic floors. I need to sweep the wood floors. I need to clean the powder room and the ensuite. I need to make my bed. I need to finish the laundry and put it away. I need to organize and clean the mudroom - which has turned into a drop-off zone of clutter. We have Steve's parents and aunt & uncle coming tomorrow for a visit so I need to show them that I'm a good housekeeper. One more coffee, and perhaps my motivation will appear. Now, where are my new rubber gloves?
No comments:
Post a Comment