Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Worried About Mom and Dad

My mother just called me and now I'm worried. She told me about how the doctor called her yesterday and told her that her blood sugar was high - she suspects diabetes. Last night my mother was so dizzy and felt really sick and she was going to the washroom constantly and her veins were bulging and really blue. She had called a friend who said that she's probably dehydrating from the inside out. Anyway, she nearly had to go to the hospital - that's a big deal, because she NEVER goes to the hospital even when she probably should. My father is already on pills to control his blood sugar so now I have both of them to worry about. My mother has Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis and she's already in pretty bad shape. She can barely walk, she is overweight, and she can't really exercise. She has the Tony Little "Gazelle" but it's so hard for her to use even that. Anyway, my mom called and asked me to do some research for her about foods that she should eat if she is diabetic. If anyone has any information or guidance for me to pass along to my parents, I would appreciate that.

I wish my parents lived closer because I feel like I could help them out with their food choices and get them to be a bit more active. I tried to educate my father about picking the right foods when he goes to get groceries, but my mother tells me that he still eats sugar like it's going out of style. And the carbs... they eat so much carbohydrates and they just don't get that it's a form of sugar and it's bad for a diabetic to have too much. It's so frustrating that they are not REALLY worried about their health. Because they should be. I'm afraid that my mother, who already has always had bad circulation in her legs and has had pains in her chest recently, is going to end up like my friend Steph's mom - a damaged heart and an amputated leg as a result of not taking care of herself and taking her diabetes seriously. My father's sister almost died from complications from diabetes... Anyway, I'm worried. And now I have some research to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment