Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Improvised Dinner

I felt so energetic and pumped today that I decided to make pork chops for supper. I had gone grocery shopping the other day and got (or thought I got) ingredients to make pork chops the way my father made them when I was home. I needed onion soup mix and a can of mushroom soup. So I'm in the kitchen today, frying up the pork chops, adding the onion soup mix and a bit of water, and then I look in the cupboard for the mushroom soup and IT'S NOT THERE! I freaked out because I clearly remember going by the soup aisle and picking up a can. Then I thought that maybe I picked up cream of broccoli soup instead. So I had to think quickly: I had intended on making mashed potatoes, but without the "gravy" from the onion/mushroom soup the potatoes were not a viable option. I rooted through my well-stocked pantry and came across some Knorr/Lipton Mexican rice mix. So I put that in the pan with the pork chops and onion soup, added enough water to cook the rice and let it simmer away. Half an hour later I had a tasty "one pot" meal. I made some steamed green beans as a side dish. It tasted amazing! Steve cleaned his plate! And Mady ate about 1oz of pork chop with her dinner and seemed to really enjoy the flavour. I will make this improvised meal again!

PS: I didn't feel like cleaning up after dinner, so I told Steve that I would make him brownies if he cleaned the kitchen... Off I go to hold up my end of the bargain! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment